The British Council in Sri Lanka offers IELTS Academic, General Training, IELTS for UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) - Academic, General Training and the IELTS Life Skills tests.
You can book your IELTS test with us online. When you book with us, you can be certain that you will be taking your test at an official IELTS test centre.
We are testing in all locations, at the following centres with extra measures to ensure your safety.
- British Council Colombo, 49 Alfred House Gardens, Colombo – 03
- Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall (BMICH), Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo – 07
- Australian College of Business and Technology (ACBT), No 32 C, Dickman’s Road, Colombo – 05
- Sinhaputhra Finance building - 4th Floor (Conference Hall), No 11, Hill Street, Kandy
- Kandyan Reach Hotel, Kandy Road, Kurunegala
- Nations Victory Campus, No. 148, Greens Road, Negombo
- Hotel East Lagoon, Batticaloa
- Public Library - Jaffna
If you wish to take your test in the Maldives, please click here.
Tests we offer
|IELTS Academic – paper-based and computer-delivered tests||
|IELTS General Training – paper-based and computer-delivered tests||
|IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (Academic and General Training)||
|IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1)||
To book your test you will need to:
- Make sure you have some sort of valid passport at hand. Please note you will have to present the same ID on test day that you use for booking. Different, invalid or expired ID will not be accepted, and you will not be allowed to sit the test. Please note that candidates under 18 years of age have to supply written consent by a parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
- Read our Information for Candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for test-takers under the age of 16.
- Pay for your test. You can pay for your test either through our online registration system or via bank transfer. In the Reference section of your payment please write: [IELTS / family name / city / test date].
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the payment receipt with the rest of your registration documents.
Payments can be done as follows:
We are currently not accepting cash payments over the counters.
Make a direct bank transfer to our HSBC account,
Direct credits can be made only after registering for a test date.
In order to make a direct credit, you will first need to locate your nearest branch through www.hsbc.lk
Please make your registration payment to:
Branch: PO Box 73, Colombo 1
Account number: 001-002377-002
Bank and branch code: 7092 001
Swift Code: HSBCLKLX
We accept payments into our bank account through the following methods:
1. Direct deposit (using deposit slip from the bank, and not at a Cash Deposit Machine) into the aforementioned British Council bank account (recommended)
2. Electronic bank transfer from your internet banking account.
3. Direct debit from your bank.
To make the above payment you must quote your Passport Number and test date in all reference fields that are available according to the following format. In order to provide the test date, you will have to first register for the IELTS test.
Reference format: IELTS-Passport Number-Test Date (in DDMMYY format)
Failure to quote your correct registration reference details as stipulated above may delay your application process; this may lead to a change from your preferred test date or cancellation of your registration.
You need to submit the proof of payment by logging in to the candidate area and uploading the scanned payment confirmation receipt under the tab “Upload Documents”. This must be done within five days of the registration.
No refunds will be given for bank slips sent to us after the payment deadline.
Your registration will be cancelled automatically, and you will not be able to take the test on the day you originally registered for. Instead, we shall offer you a free transfer to a future test date (within a three-month period) of your choice limited by the availability of seats.
However, the failure to verify your payments in our bank records, as a result of technical or any other error, will result in the cancellation of your test registration or the withholding of your Test Result Form until proof of payment is submitted.
British Council will not be responsible for any delays in you taking the test or in you receiving the results, due to not following the stipulated process for offline payments and/or verifying payments made to the bank, as instructed above.
Attention: We do not accept payment slips and passport copies sent to us via email, post, courier or hand delivery. Furthermore, please note that any bank deposits which are not claimed within a 30-day period will not be refunded.
IELTS test date confirmation
Once you have completed the booking process, you will receive a confirmation giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
Your Speaking test may be scheduled on the same day as the other sections, or on a different day within a 7-day window before or after your main test day. The test centre will send you a confirmation for the Speaking Test date.
After booking your test, you will also receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
You will also receive your IELTS Reference Number to access the Test Taker Portal. Please make sure that you have included your email address correctly when you book your test.