- "CELTA has been a wonderful experience! The tutors were supportive and provided constructive feedback, which was always useful. The course itself has given me a lot of insight on how to manage classroom situations, the role of being a better teacher and planning lessons methodically and effectively."
Amy Sandrasagara – completed CELTA at British Council Colombo in May 2016
- “It was a tough 10-week adventure! We had three very different tutors and I loved learning from all of them. In the end it was an extremely rewarding experience. A big point to mention is the depth and thoroughness of the CELTA course as well as the everyday routine of self-evaluation and feedback from the tutors, which gave me confidence and the ability to teach. It has entirely changed my perspective towards teaching. My colleagues and I had an excellent experience through this extremely intensive course. It will stay in our memories forever.”
Susan Maynard – completed CELTA at British Council Colombo in December 2015
- “I did my CELTA (the extensive course) at British Council Colombo and that place gets an 'above standard' from me… I love teaching and CELTA made me love it more. It built up my confidence, brought out the creativity in me, showed me my strengths and weaknesses as a teacher and taught me ways to make my lessons interesting...
“My advice for those of you who want to follow the CELTA extensive course is to do your work regularly, enjoy what you do, take in the tutor's feedback and record it in a journal so that you won't repeat your mistakes. I won't say that it is going be easy. It's tough! You are bound to face endless teaching practices, endless assignments, sleepless nights. It’s a real challenge… but it's all worth it.”
Erandi Gunawardena – completed CELTA at British Council Colombo in May 2016
- “I’m a primary trained teacher and I decided to make the transition to teaching English to adults. To do so, I completed my CELTA at BC Colombo and enjoyed it immensely. I was particularly impressed by the attention to detail provided by the tutors, which helped me improve my teaching practice throughout the course. The highly experienced tutors were generous with their time and advice, helping us to constantly strengthen our teaching skills. Whilst teaching is a profession where you will never stop learning, the CELTA at the BC Colombo really gave me a good foundation to begin my career in ESL. I’m now teaching at the BC in Colombo and I still reflect on tips and techniques acquired during CELTA.
Dhinali Ranasinghe – completed CELTA at British Council Colombo in December 2014
- “I have always wanted a career in teaching. However, I often get itchy feet and love to travel. The CELTA qualification is a winning combination of both, enabling me to fulfil my desire to teach whilst allowing me to go wherever I want, for as long as I want. The course is demanding, but hugely enriching. The CELTA trainers at the British Council Colombo bring years of first-hand experience, reams of knowledge and a deep personal desire to guide their students towards progression and success. Following passing the CELTA, I’ve managed to secure a job teaching foreign students in the UK. For anyone considering the CELTA at the BC, I really could not recommend this course highly enough.”
Nathan Chilcott – completed CELTA at British Council Colombo in May 2016
- “In the ESL world teaching English as a secondary language is a demanding profession. Being well competent in the English language does not mean that you can teach the language to a learner. It needs proper guidance and sufficient practice. CELTA is the best course for you to learn how to teach English.
“My CELTA experience was a nice blend of hard work and enjoyment. I really learned a lot about teaching. This course offered me a good foundation and guidance to become a better English teacher. I am well satisfied with the content of the course. The student-centred approach favoured by this course has been immensely useful for my lessons.
“My tutors deserve a special token of gratitude for being supportive and tolerant teachers with professional knowledge and background experience. If they were not there, my CELTA would not have been a success. It's true that this course demands a lot of dedication and commitment. You need to invest your free time in extra reading and preparation, which is enormously worthwhile during CELTA and after the course.
“At the end of the course, I was confident that I can succeed in the world of ESL with this globally-recognized certificate.”
Dilusha Ganewatta – completed CELTA at British Council Colombo in 2016