Submission of entries have now been closed.
Thank you for your interest.
The English Language Teaching competition grew out of our work with teacher educators, both pre and in -service, in the state sector in Sri Lanka. This work falls under our larger TRANSFORM programme. From 2017 the Improving Teacher Education in Sri Lanka (iTESL) Project has been running. Materials were developed based on the needs of both sectors. Teacher educator courses were delivered to over 100 teacher educators in the National Colleges of Education and mentoring and ELT methodology courses were delivered to over 200 in-service advisors and senior teachers.
A Community of Practice (COP) was initiated to assist these teacher educators to share best practices and to give them a forum to collaborate. One of the events that the COP was keen to run was a competition aimed at collecting best practice in English teacher lesson planning and English teacher educator session planning. The group lesson plans which formed a key part of the Continuous Professional Learning and Development for Teachers (CPLDT) Project currently running are also eligible for entry. The group session plans which are part of the ELT Methodology course for teacher educators on the iTESL Project are also eligible for entry.
These lesson and session plans can then form a bank of materials uploaded both to the new Ministry of Education Moodle site for the Community of Practice and shared to its members and to the mobile Teach English App (TEA) still in development. In that way, Secondary English lesson plans based on the NIE curriculum and using the school textbooks and session plans based on the NIE Teacher Training curriculum and based in the Sri Lankan context can be shared between the wider teacher and teacher educator community.
The winning materials will be showcased at the Sri Lankan English Language Teacher Educator Conference in March 2020. This is the ideal venue for showcasing and sharing the work of both pre and in-service teacher educators and teachers.
- To encourage the writing of detailed lesson and session plans for the English language teaching classroom and training room
- To showcase best practice in lesson and session planning in the local context
- To establish a bank of materials which can be shared on Moodle and/or Teach English App
- To raise awareness as to the importance of lesson and session planning
- To produce 2 booklets of (1) session plans and (2) lesson plans that can be used as examples of best practice in English language teacher education.
- Citizens of Sri Lanka
- All secondary school government sector English language teachers in either government schools or government-approved private schools
- All English teacher educators in pre and in-service sectors (i.e. lecturers in National Colleges of Education, Teacher training colleges, Teacher Centres, Regional English Support Centre resource people, In-Service Advisors)
What can you win?
- Win a trip to the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) 2020 in Manchester in the UK in April
- Win a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.0” (2019) 64GB to help with your lesson planning
- Win a class set of English language coursebooks or a set of English language methodology books for your institution
- Win the chance to contribute to a bank of online resources for English language teachers and teacher educators in Sri Lanka
- Win a chance to attend the Sri Lankan English Language Teacher Educator Conference (SLELTEC) in March 2020
- All shortlisted entries meeting the guidelines below will receive a joint British Council / Ministry of Education certificate of participation