Note: This policy applies only to IELTS for UKVI testing, including IELTS Life Skills. Please consult the relevant policy for non-UKVI IELTS tests.
IELTS for UKVI: Cancellations and Transfers Policy for Test Takers
Note: This policy applies only to IELTS for UKVI testing, including IELTS Life Skills. Please consult the relevant policy document for non-UKVI IELTS tests.
You can cancel your IELTS test registration at any time before taking your test by notifying your Test Centre. Refund terms depend upon when you cancel and whether exceptional circumstances apply.
Type 1 - Time to test date
- This is applicable for candidates who submit refund requests WITHOUT any supporting documentation or evidence
- Refundable amount will depend on when the application was submitted
- Below table contains the amount the candidate will receive in line with the application submission date
- Please remember that this is NOT an admin fee but the amount the candidate will receive
|Time to Test Date||Refundable amount for IELTS for UKVI testing||Refundable amount for IELTS Life Skills|
|1.1||More than 14 days before the test||LKR 55,500.00||LKR 41,300.00|
|1.2||Within 14 days but 2 days before the test||LKR 37,000.00||LKR 27,500.00|
|1.3||Within 2 days of the test||LKR 18,500.00||LKR 13,800.00|
|1.4||On the test day or after the test||No Refund||No Refund|
* Effective from February 2023
Type 2 - Test taker exceptions
- This is applicable for candidates who missed their test under exceptional circumstances and are requesting for a refund
- Application submission deadline – 5 days after the test date
- All exceptional cases must be supported by evidence
- Exceptional circumstances can be:
i) Serious medical conditions supported by a medical certificate
ii) Evidence of bereavement, trauma or other forms of significant hardship
iii) Military service
iv) We can also receive other less common reasons, which we can accept if the candidate can submit satisfactory evidence
- If request is approved, candidate will receive a refund minus the admin fee will be charged
i) UKVI admin fee – LKR 18,500.00
ii) Life Skills admin fee – LKR 13,800.00
Type 3 - Test centre exceptions
Under certain circumstances outside Test Centre control, we may have to cancel your test. These circumstances include and are not limited to extreme weather conditions, natural disaster, civil unrest and industrial action. In such an event, the candidate will be offered a full refund or a free test date transfer
* Submission Timeline – More than 14 Days before UKVI LRW Exams (Listening/Reading/Writing) or Life Skills LS Exams (Listening/Speaking)
E.g. LRW or LS Test Date – 25 Jul. / Deadline – 11 Jul.
- Selected test date, if available has to be within the next three months from your original test date
- If your preferred test date is more than three months after your original test date, then your transfer will be treated as a cancellation
- You can only transfer the same booking once
* Admin Fee – (Non-Refundable & Subject to change)
UKVI – Rs. 18,500/-
Life Skills (A1 or B1) – Rs. 13,800/-
Note: If Exam Fee has been increased since your registration and/or requesting for Mode Change (IELTS on Computer to IELTS on Paper), fee difference would need to be paid.
Within 14 days of the test, no test date transfers are accepted. Candidates will need to apply for a refund, under the standard UKVI/Life Skills refund guidlines.
* How to Pay – Using "Online Bank Transfer" to our account.
Note: We accept ONLY Online Bank Transfers or Over the Counter Payments at Banks. EasyPay/ATM/CDM Machine Payments NOT Accepted.
Branch: PO Box 73, Colombo 1
Account Name: British Council
Account Number: 001-002377-002
Narration: UKVI / Life Skills Transfer - Passport Number
* Required Documents – Copy of Passport & Online Bank Transfer Slip
How to apply
Step 1 – Make the Payment.
Step 2 – Email the “Required Documents” to LKemail@example.com before the deadline with the subject line "UKVI / Life Skills Transfer - Passport Number".
Note the “Reference Number” received in the automated reply.
Step 3 – Fill this “Online Form” before the deadline.
We will update you within 5 days of submission.
Please ensure the above steps are duly followed and the form is accurately filled. Late, Incomplete and/or Inaccurate responses will be rejected.
- British Council reserves the right to seek "Supporting Documentary Evidence" to process your request, where applicable.
- New Test Date should be at least 10 Days after Form Submission and within 3 Months of Original Test Date. Transfers are not allowed outside this timeline and will be treated as cancellations as per Section A given above.
- Candidates are allowed ONLY One Transfer per Booking.
- Test Dates are subjected to availability and will only be confirmed upon receipt of the duly completed form, passport copy and payment. If any of your selection is unavailable, we will be in touch to discuss the next available options.
- We will only consider the first response. Hence, do not submit this form multiple times.
- Acceptance or Rejection will be at the sole discretion of British Council and/or Exam Board. We will notify you within 5 days from submission.
- Any payment made to the British Council that cannot be traced to the customer, who transferred the amount, within 30 working days will not be refunded.
i. Your Test Centre is responsible for issuing refunds and organizing transfers.
ii. Under section A. 2., the Test Centre is responsible for decisions related to test taker claims for exceptional circumstances.
iii. Under section A. 3., the Test Centre is responsible for decisions related to compensation, including eligibility and any amounts awarded.
iv. If local consumer protection law in the country you have registered to take the IELTS test provides for cancellation and transfer rights which are more favorable to the test taker than the rights set out above, then local consumer protection law will apply.