We welcome visitors with disabilities and those bringing pushchairs. If you need help with access, or have any questions, please let us know.
British Council Kandy is located in a commercial building.
- The Kandy Railway station is 1.2km away.
- The Kandy Secretariat bus stop is 170m away.
The nearest drop-off point for cars, trishaws and taxies is in front of the NSBM building on E L Senanayake Veediya.
- This drop-off point is 3m from the British Council Kandy main entrance.
- This drop-off point is 3m from the British Council Kandy accessible entrance.
The British Council in Kandy does not have a car park.
- The nearest public car park, Kandy Municipal Council Public car park, is 500m away. You will have to pay a parking fee to use this service.
- There are public accessible parking spaces on E L Senanayake Veediya. you may need to pay a parking fee.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU ARRIVE
The main entrance to the British Council in Kandy which is on the second floor of the NSB Bank building is not accessible to people using wheelchairs or pushchairs.
You can see a photo of the main entrance above.
- There is a set of eight steps leading up to the main entrance.
- The width of the main entrance door is [xx]cm.
- Wheelchair or pushchair access to the main entrance is via a lift.
INSIDE THE BUILDING
As you enter the building you will need to go through a security check. This involves you and your bag being checked.
- You may hear several loud bleeps during the check.
If you have any concerns about the security check, please contact us before your visit.
There are several customer service desks 5m to the left of the main entrance. Our staff will be happy to help if you require any assistance
- If you use a wheelchair, we will speak with you about a suitable emergency evacuation plan.
The British Council in Kandy is on one level, with wide corridors accessible to visitors using wheelchairs.
The British Council in Kandy feature some wide level corridors accessible to visitors using wheelchairs. Other sections of the building have steps up and down, for which there are no ramps. The third floor is only accessible by stairs.
There are accessible classrooms on the second floor of the building which can be accessed by a visitor using a wheelchair. There is lift access for wheelchair users.These classrooms are equipped with [computers/tablets/computers and tablets] with screen magnifiers and screen reader software.
LIFT AND STAIRS
You can reach the third floor by lift or stairs.
- The lift is a passenger lift.
- The lift door width is [xx]cm and the buttons are within [xx]cm of the floor.
- The lift [has / does not have] Braille buttons.
- The lift [has / does not have] an audible announcer.
- The stairs have] a handrail on the left hand side.
Please contact us before your visit if you think the lift will be unsuitable for you so that we can make alternative arrangements.
There is no accessible toilet in this building or nearby.