About this course
If you are looking for an internationally-recognised qualification in English language teaching, this is the course for you. The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is aimed at those with little or no previous teaching experience.
WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE THIS BRITISH COUNCIL COURSE?
- International recognition and quality assurance - CELTA is one of the most widely-recognised and highly respected qualifications for English language teaching. It is awarded by the University of Cambridge, which ensures quality.
- Gain knowledge and practical teaching skills - The British Council CELTA course is highly practical and will develop your confidence in the classroom. You will find out about the latest communicative teaching methodologies and have the opportunity to put these into practice in the classroom with real students.
- Learn in a supportive environment - The British Council has a worldwide reputation for excellence and our experienced and dedicated teacher trainers will guide you to develop as a confident and professional teacher of English.
Courses offered in a variety of forms – online or face to face; full-time and part-time. You can choose a course to suit your needs. Please note that online course participants need to attend 14 days of face to face training from 6 July to 21 July 2015 at the British Council in Colombo.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE COVER?
On the CELTA course you will:
- attend sessions covering all aspects of teaching English as a second language
- benefit from directed lesson planning and tutorial support
- complete six hours of assessed teaching practice
- receive constructive feedback on your teaching practice from your tutors and peers
- complete four assessed assignments (750-1,000 words each)
- have the opportunity to observe experienced ELT professionals (six hours in total).
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
Candidates are assessed on their teaching practice, professional awareness and written assignments.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE COURSE?
- You must be 18 years or over to apply.
- You must have an acceptable level of proficiency in English (both written and spoken). This is assessed on the application task and at the interview stage.
- You should demonstrate an interest in and an awareness of English language and learning.
- You should be able to commit the appropriate amount of time necessary to complete the course.