Become a member of the Colombo British Council library and get access to top quality online resources including e-journals and e-books, borrow books/CDs/DVDs and get free internet access from any of the library computers. The membership also entitles you to join events including talks and workshops.
The library has three main sections: the Young Learners Centre, the English Learning Zone and the lending section. Our collection of periodicals attracts many members and the internet browsing facility offered free for members, is a very popular feature.
We also provide free membership to our students and exam candidates with the aim of supporting their learning journey.
Join our exciting library and get access to:
- an ever-expanding collection of over 75,000 and online resources
- more than 50,000 of the latest books covering various subjects
- resources to help you improve your English and prepare for a range of different exams including IELTS, Cambridge English, IGCSEs, O-levels and A-levels.
- a huge collection of CDs and DVDs
- specially designed workshops, events and reading activities
Access our library collection
Once registered, you can login to our library collection online using your unique username and password provided. Here you can:
- search, reserve and renew your books online
- view the library material you have borrowed and find out about new book releases
- check real-time availability of books and other material online.
Our English Learning Services (ELS) and Children Section.
Our Colombo library offers two areas specifically designed to cater to your information and learning needs:
- Our English Learning Services (ELS) hosts English language teaching resources, a reference section and resources to help you prepare for exams such as IELTS and Cambridge English. The English Learning Services comprises of listening booths where members can practice their English listening skills. In addition to the vast collection of books and CDs, the English Learning Services also hosts various workshops, events and activities for library members and non-members.
- Our Children Section provides computer access for children learning English and a collection of over 15,000 children's books. We host a variety of workshops, including reading programmes and interactive story-telling sessions to help children start reading at an early age while developing a life-long love for books.
Children under the age of 11 must be supervised by their parents/guardians at ALL times.